New S.EP.A. membership

Information and discussion of S.E.P.A. related issues.

Moderator: Curtis

New S.EP.A. membership

Postby Quads4fun » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:09 am

At the last quarterly meeting of S.E.P.A., before the meeting started, I paid and joined S.E.P.A. . During the meeting, I found out that the membership is not for 1 year from joining but rather for the calendar year. I am fine with that, although I did voice my opinion that it should be for a year from the joining date. My $25 bought me a 2 month membership. I expected I would get, at the very least, a "welcome aboard" e-mail or something to confirm my membership. I got nothing in the last 2 months. Not a secret handshake, not a bumpersticker, not a t-shirt, not a membership card, not even a "your membership is up and please renew" e-mail. THIS could be a problem for newcomers. I have to admit, it made me feel as if the only thing that I was wanted for was my $25. Will I renew? Yep. I'm just pointing-out a flaw that might hamper the club from keeping new members. Am I missing something? Is there a S.E.P.A. website? I'm looking foward to the meeting on January 12th and also want to help with the trash pick-up afterwards. And on a side note, the road work looks GREAT! Unfortunately, there was no way on earth that I could help during my busiest work season (Christmas). Maybe a S.E.P.A. flyer with info on how to join could be posted at each culvert/improvement to show people what S.E.P.A. does.
Quads4fun
Land Owner

Re: New S.EP.A. membership

Postby bubba2u » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:15 am

i thought we voted at the last meeting to give the last two months of the year for free if new people signed up. i may be wrong on how the vote went on that issue but i know it was discussed. i guess we will discuss it next meeting.
bubba2u
Land Owner

Postby Quads4fun » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:44 am

bubba2u wrote:i thought we voted at the last meeting to give the last two months of the year for free if new people signed up. i may be wrong on how the vote went on that issue but i know it was discussed. i guess we will discuss it next meeting.

Yes, this was voted on and passed. This gives those who join in NOVEMBER and DECEMBER basically free membership until the year starts and then membership for that year. I joined that day (the day of the 4th quarter meeting in OCTOBER, so the vote did not apply to me and I'm fine with that).

I just thought that, at least, I would get a "welcome new member" e-mail or something but 3 months later, I've gotten nothing to confirm my membership. It kinda feels like "we want your $25 and once we get it, so long". I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE CASE but I point this out because it might discourage new members to renew...and we all know that we want NEW members and to KEEP those NEW members. I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flak from others for posting this but it is what it is.
Quads4fun
Land Owner

Postby jcheil » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Quads4fun wrote:
bubba2u wrote:i thought we voted at the last meeting to give the last two months of the year for free if new people signed up. i may be wrong on how the vote went on that issue but i know it was discussed. i guess we will discuss it next meeting.

Yes, this was voted on and passed. This gives those who join in NOVEMBER and DECEMBER basically free membership until the year starts and then membership for that year. I joined that day (the day of the 4th quarter meeting in OCTOBER, so the vote did not apply to me and I'm fine with that).

I just thought that, at least, I would get a "welcome new member" e-mail or something but 3 months later, I've gotten nothing to confirm my membership. It kinda feels like "we want your $25 and once we get it, so long". I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE CASE but I point this out because it might discourage new members to renew...and we all know that we want NEW members and to KEEP those NEW members. I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flak from others for posting this but it is what it is.

That's because we don't have the time/membership/money to operate like a "real" organization. Since everyone simply donates the little free time they have to keep it running, it would be a daunting task to try to deal with keeping track of memberships that expire at all different times throughout the year.

You are more than welcome to join those people that maintain memberships and create monthly emails, etc. That would be very much appreciated. As you have seen, and heard from many of your posts int he past, we are well aware of "things that need to be done", but like most other people, they have plenty of "we need lists" and "this needs to be done lists" but they never actually want to DO anything about it. So please do jump in and join them so that (as you pointed out), we don't have confusion for future new members.

And the $25 is more like a token donation. I mean, we're not like the NRA or other organizations that can afford to send out quarterly mailers, etc. We're lucky that the people that are involved can even spend the time they do and until they have nothing better to do (yeah right), it is unlikely that I would expect to see any kind of frequent communications via email or snail-mail. This website is where all of the information is. If you read the minutes (or come to the meetings) you will find out that we spend a good amount of money on things that eat up that little $25 you are donating real quick.

Not sure if you have been out there in the past week or so, but if you haven't, when you see how much work was done on the roads (completed this past Tuesday), I would hope that your extra $25 would only be the beginning of a much larger donation that you will be making. Especially considering it was close to an $8000 project (estimate).

So really, why even complain? It's friggin 25 lousy dollars. I mean, come on :roll:
jcheil
Land Owner
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Postby OneJayded » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:45 pm

DB.
OneJayded
Land Owner
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Postby countrygirl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 pm

That's my fault. I always tried to send a "welcome" email out to new members and renewals letting them know that their payment was received and processed, telling them about the web site, things we do, etc. I apologize for not responding. My computer was down and I was trying to share one with my husband in the evenings and most of my files were on the down computer (no excuses) but I am back up and running now.

My apologies to all renewals and newbies that haven't received your welcome letter. Here is a blanket letter to get things started with a vow to be more diligent this year with follow up...

"Just a short note letting you know that we received and processed your payment of $25.00 for your SEPA Club Inc Membership. Thank you for your interest and welcome to our club! Your membership is valid until December 31, 2013.

Please be sure to add our e-mail address to your contacts list, so that you will receive meeting notices and bulletins. We do not send out junk mail nor do we share your information with anyone else.

We really appreciate your support in our organization and hope to see you at the next quarterly meeting.

The meetings are held on the second Saturday of the first month of each quarter at 11:00 am: January 12; April 13; July 13; and October 12, 2013.

Following is a brief explanation as to how our membership works:

As a property owner and SEPA Club Inc. Member, you are now a registered Voting member. In addition to making suggestions on improving Suburban Estates and letting your voice be heard, you can vote on items proposed at club meetings.

One of the landowners created a web site devoted to Suburban Estates, http://www.suburbanestates.net, and he has created some forums for our club's business. While anyone can access the General Forums, only a registered property owner can access the landowners' forums and a current SEPA Club Member is able to access the SEPA Club Forums. If you haven't done so, please check out the web site. All meeting dates are posted on the web site in addition to meeting Minutes, etc. There are all kinds of topics being discussed by members and non-members.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me and I will get an answer for you, or at least send you in the right direction.

Thank you again for your support."
Rita Hemphill
SEPA Club Inc
Treasurer/Key Chairperson
SEPAClubInc@aol.com
ritahemphill6530@aol.com
countrygirl@suburbanestates.net
countrygirl
Land Owner
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Postby Quads4fun » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:25 am

jcheil wrote:
Not sure if you have been out there in the past week or so, but if you haven't, when you see how much work was done on the roads (completed this past Tuesday), I would hope that your extra $25 would only be the beginning of a much larger donation that you will be making. Especially considering it was close to an $8000 project (estimate).

Jcheil, do you know how to read ? Looky up top at one of my first posts...I mentioned that the improvements look GREAT. Short attention span? I digress, sorry for that one but it irks me when someone complains WITHOUT reading the post. Oh, and by the way, how much did I contribute at the gate this last weekend?
Quads4fun
Land Owner

Postby Quads4fun » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:31 am

OneJayded wrote:DB.

Once again, I expected flak. Why am I a DB? I simply communicated an observation of a perceived flaw. Did I get overlooked? Did I "fall through the cracks"? Is this the way things are and I wasn't treated any different? I simply asked to find out...and that makes me a DB???
Quads4fun
Land Owner

Postby Quads4fun » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:37 am

countrygirl wrote:

That's my fault. I always tried to send a "welcome" email out to new members and renewals letting them know that their payment was received and processed, telling them about the web site, things we do, etc. I apologize for not responding. My computer was down and I was trying to share one with my husband in the evenings and most of my files were on the down computer (no excuses) but I am back up and running now.

My apologies to all renewals and newbies that haven't received your welcome letter. Here is a blanket letter to get things started with a vow to be more diligent this year with follow up...

"Just a short note letting you know that we received and processed your payment of $25.00 for your SEPA Club Inc Membership. Thank you for your interest and welcome to our club! Your membership is valid until December 31, 2013.

Please be sure to add our e-mail address to your contacts list, so that you will receive meeting notices and bulletins. We do not send out junk mail nor do we share your information with anyone else.

We really appreciate your support in our organization and hope to see you at the next quarterly meeting.

The meetings are held on the second Saturday of the first month of each quarter at 11:00 am: January 12; April 13; July 13; and October 12, 2013.

Following is a brief explanation as to how our membership works:

As a property owner and SEPA Club Inc. Member, you are now a registered Voting member. In addition to making suggestions on improving Suburban Estates and letting your voice be heard, you can vote on items proposed at club meetings.

One of the landowners created a web site devoted to Suburban Estates, http://www.suburbanestates.net, and he has created some forums for our club's business. While anyone can access the General Forums, only a registered property owner can access the landowners' forums and a current SEPA Club Member is able to access the SEPA Club Forums. If you haven't done so, please check out the web site. All meeting dates are posted on the web site in addition to meeting Minutes, etc. There are all kinds of topics being discussed by members and non-members.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me and I will get an answer for you, or at least send you in the right direction.

Thank you again for your support."

THANK-YOU Mrs. Rita. Your explanation is well received and I appreciate you taking the time to clarify this issue. I certainly understand your predicament with the computer.
Quads4fun
Land Owner

Postby jcheil » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Quads4fun wrote:
jcheil wrote:

Jcheil, do you know how to read ? Looky up top at one of my first posts...I mentioned that the improvements look GREAT. Short attention span? I digress, sorry for that one but it irks me when someone complains WITHOUT reading the post. Oh, and by the way, how much did I contribute at the gate this last weekend?

I read well, which is why I said "in the past week", considering we FINISHED the repairs on this past TUESDAY" my wording allowed for the possibility that you were only there at the beginning of the repairs that started the week before christmas, thus you may only have seen the beginning of the work, not the completion of it.
jcheil
Land Owner
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Postby Quads4fun » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:38 am

jcheil wrote:
Quads4fun wrote:
jcheil wrote:
I read well, which is why I said "in the past week", considering we FINISHED the repairs on this past TUESDAY" my wording allowed for the possibility that you were only there at the beginning of the repairs that started the week before christmas, thus you may only have seen the beginning of the work, not the completion of it.

I was out there Saturday December 29th and Sunday December 30th. I made a comment on Tuesday January 1st, just below your post, on another post titled "Re: road re.pairs". I think that the repairs look GREAT. The repairs were finished on Tuesday (january 1st)?...I thought that the equipment was to be rented until January 14th.

OK. just thinking out loud. Figure I will look closely next time I'm out there but I do have a question/concern about the main trail repair at the power lines. Not complaining, because it really does look good and I wanted to ring the necks of the guys who were ALREADY doing donuts there on Saturday, but here is my QUESTION (NOT COMPLAINING)...the water in SE flows north-northeast. the entire power line mud hole area and the wetlands just to the east at the corner of the grove have to flow north...is there any culvert anywhere under the main trail near there? IT WAS EXTREMELY BUSY THERE SO I DID NOT STOP TO SEE IF THERE WAS A CULVERT INSTALLED. That area washed-out because it naturally flows north there and if no culvert was installed, it will eventually wash out again. I never have really looked anywhere on the main trail to see if there is a culvert anywhere. Of course, the ditch at the gun range road has a culvert but it is further west and doesn't drain the powerline mud hole area. If this needs to be redone, I'm willing to help any way that I can as long as I've got a couple days heads-up.
Quads4fun
Land Owner

Postby jcheil » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:05 am

Quads4fun wrote:
OK. just thinking out loud. Figure I will look closely next time I'm out there but I do have a question/concern about the main trail repair at the power lines. Not complaining, because it really does look good and I wanted to ring the necks of the guys who were ALREADY doing donuts there on Saturday, but here is my QUESTION (NOT COMPLAINING)...the water in SE flows north-northeast. the entire power line mud hole area and the wetlands just to the east at the corner of the grove have to flow north...is there any culvert anywhere under the main trail near there? IT WAS EXTREMELY BUSY THERE SO I DID NOT STOP TO SEE IF THERE WAS A CULVERT INSTALLED. That area washed-out because it naturally flows north there and if no culvert was installed, it will eventually wash out again. I never have really looked anywhere on the main trail to see if there is a culvert anywhere. Of course, the ditch at the gun range road has a culvert but it is further west and doesn't drain the powerline mud hole area. If this needs to be redone, I'm willing to help any way that I can as long as I've got a couple days heads-up.

Actually all water in SE flows NORTH and WEST (one exception see below).

There are (2) 24" culverts right there at the powerlines, they are clean and flowing.

Throughout the main road heading west, there are about 3 more, that are partially crushed from the power company (they were supposed to replace).
Then at the end of O'berry's road there is a 48" which directs the water on the south side of the main road to the northern E/W canal along O'berry's road.

Lastly, there was (will be replaced when we get one), a 36" at gun-range road which takes the remaining water and directs it to the main N/S canal.

Eventually all that water ends up in the main N/S canal that heads North thru O'Berry's property, then filters west thru the cypress heads and ultimately thru the culverts at the swimming hole.

The only water that heads south is the canal on the east side of SE property along the south half of the groves property line. Additionally, that small spur canal at the north end of that canal flows east, into it and the small spur canals on the west side of gun-range road flow east into the main N/S canal that ultimately flows north. Everything else flows north and west.

We are trying to aquire a bunch of culvert pipe from a nearby city that has abandoned it. If we are able to get them somewhat cheap, we will be installing LOTS of culverts along the main road, and at several other crossing points on the other roads.

We have done extensive topological studies of SE and with the latest cleaning of the canals over the past 2 weeks, the water is finally doing what it was supposed to do when they designed and dug those canals in the late 60's and early 70's. We just need to keep them cleaned out every few years. If you all noticed, we attempted to make a "maintenance buffer" along the edges of all of the canals that is wide enough to fit another track-hoe or grade-all.

One of the most time consuming parts of the project this (and 2 years ago), was clearing the trees from the edges of the canals so that we can REACH into the canals to clean them. (and yes some people bitched about that but it's necessary and there are plenty of other trees at SE) Now, just about every canal that will need maintenance in the future will have easy access. So much so that we could likely just get a rubber-tire long-reach gradeall to clean them out in the future, which is a LOT faster and a lot cheaper to rent.

And yes the equipment was returned on the 3rd. We had it since the 21st. And realistically, we had SO MUCh help and other equipment, that we actually did EVERYTHING (and then some) that was planned this year. On the last few days we actually did some extra things that were slated for next year. But also, we were exhausted. Most of us (myself included) spent 6am - 6pm running that equipment EVERY day from the 21st thru the 2nd.

Thank you for your compliments and donations.
jcheil
Land Owner
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Postby Quads4fun » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:43 pm

I've seen old culverts under the main trail and have run over crushed ones over the years. I agree that the water flows to lake Gentry (in general the WHOLE area flows NE AFTER the man made canals direst it to lake Gentry). You guys kicked butt on cleaning tha ditches out (I didn't have time to go w of the gun range rd but everything EVERYTHING e of there is kick butt and looks good!) Of course the trees needed to go...and some will "go" to my camp for firewood! As I said before, that time of year there is no way in hell I could help but if I could have, I would have. I've never run anything larger than a small backhoe and bobcat but I do know how to use a shovel. Some projects in the past the SEPA has done have had people saying that they were half arse done (you have heard me state this before and I ask that you not to shoot the "messenger") but I have NOT NOT heard one negative thing about this new work. Thank you guys!
Quads4fun
Land Owner

Postby hillbilly hotel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 am

thank you very much it took alot of effort from all of us to do these jobs but we got them done. i cant tell you how many loads of dirt we moved it was nuts but it did pay off in the end. lets see how long it takes for people to screw it up.
hillbilly hotel

Landowner?: No

Postby Quads4fun » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:47 am

hillbilly hotel wrote:thank you very much it took alot of effort from all of us to do these jobs but we got them done. i cant tell you how many loads of dirt we moved it was nuts but it did pay off in the end. lets see how long it takes for people to screw it up.

Saturday, December 29th, a bunch of people were doing donuts right in the middle of the main trail under the power lines slightly east of where the washout was repaired because the dirt was still soft and wet. I would have said something to them but it was a BUNCH of them and I aint THAT stupid.
Quads4fun
Land Owner

Next

Return to Public S.E.P.A. Info